Cleaning windows and window coverings can be very time-consuming and frustrating, especially blinds & shutters with all those slats that collect too much dust. So rather than give in to this sentiment on mini blinds, a little that is Tender Loving Care will keep all your blinds and shutters looking fabulous.
To ensure that you have a successful cleaning campaign every time, here will discuss some tips from cleaning professionals, including at-home professionals who have mastered the art of DIY cleaning for window blinds and shutters. As you’ll note, cleaning recommendations vary from professional to professional.
How to take care of blinds:
- Dust or vacuum them every time you clean the house.
- Dust window coverings once a month
- Give a thorough cleaning once a season (summer, fall, winter, spring).
- Twice a year, do a deep clean (i.e., spring cleaning and just before the holidays).
Factors like whether smokers, allergy sufferers, sticky little fingers contribute to the challenge to keep the window treatments clean.
Washing blinds efficiently
If dusting or vacuuming isn’t enough to get soiled blinds clean, you can even give aluminum and vinyl blinds a bath!
- Lay blinds flat in the bathtub with enough water to cover. Mix two to three cups of white vinegar and a squirt of dishwashing soap.
- Let the blinds soak for 5-10 minutes on each side, then wipe both the sides of the slats with a sponge.
- For crevices, use an old toothbrush or small paintbrush to deep clean blinds.
- Rinse blinds in clean water and place them on the towel rack to dry or lay flat on the floor.
- Wipe dry with the clean cloth or the chamois
If the weather permits, you can wash blinds outside with soapy water, a sponge, and the garden hose. It’s the same process as a bathtub spray with soapy water to dampen, let soak, wipe clean, rinse with a garden hose, and dry.
How often should you clean blinds?
Caring for Aluminum Venetian blinds, you only really require one annual spring clean to keep your blinds nice and fresh, but if you’re using them in a room that typically gets quite dusty, you may need a more frequent or daily basis clean.
While regular cleaning of the Roman blind fabrics is a must and handled with great care, they can be kept clean and dust-free by using a vacuum with an upholstery attachment.
Tips about how to clean blinds, curtains & shutters.
- You can use an old but clean sock to spot clean blinds: If you don’t have a vacuum handy, you can just easily substitute the vacuum. Microfiber towel for a single (clean) sock. Put that sock on your hand and run it along any surfaces that pick up the dust for clean blinds in a flash. Easy!
- Extend the fabric to its full length and wipe both sides down with a damp cloth: Luckily, cleaning roller blinds is simple.
- Rotate shutters in the morning to keep harsh light out: Shutters are already great for providing insulation and keeping your home at a comfortable temperature.
- Open your windows frequently to prevent mold: Mold forming on your blinds is not only unsightly, but it also causes some severe diseases & it can also be harmful to your health.
- Use household items to protect your blinds while painting: Paint the entire window. The best way to protect your blinds is to remove them altogether. Even if it needs extra effort, it is worth it.
I hope these tips will help you.