New York City is one of the most expensive places to live on the planet. Everything there costs more starting with homes to rental prices and includes food and parking.
In terms of the costs of repairs for things around the home and hiring professionals who can do these repairs and other things related to their profession, one can expect to pay top dollar.
Costs to hire electrical contractors like Sandy Petrocelli are in line with other professionals like plumbers and carpenters who work in New York City, NY. This means that they will typically charge between $75-$150 an hour or more depending on the type of job it is, the complexity of the job and their qualification Fewer and fewer electricians work on a flat rate because home electrical fixes have gotten so complicated and often they look into the problem and discover it is more complex than they originally thought.
There will also be a minimum service charge to come to your home. You should consider what they charge for one hour as a likely their minimum charge. Here is a general idea of costs for typical electrician jobs in your home in New York City:
Rewiring the electrical in your house:
- A small or tiny home will cost between $2,000 and $5,000.
- A moderate home will cost between $3,500 and $8,000.
- A large home will cost from $8,000 to more than $25,000.
- A very complex home with difficult to access areas can add an additional 25% to the cost of each of these.
Updating or upgrading your electrical panel:
- Change an existing panel to 100 Amps will cost between $800 and $1200.
- Change an existing panel to 100 amps will cost between $1,500 and $2,000.
- Change an existing panel to 200 amps will cost up to $3,000.
- Change an existing panel to 400 amps will cost $2,000 to $4,000.
- Installing a new sub-panel will cost $500 to $1,000.
Common things around the home:
- Run a new 120V circuit off the electrical panel will cost between $125 and $250.
- Replace an existing standard outlet with a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter $75.
- Install a new 240V circuit on the main board will cost $300 to $800.
Installation costs when hiring an electrician:
- Installation of recessed lighting will cost between $50 and $200 per light. This does not include opening the ceiling.
- Installation of an electric baseboard heater will cost between $150 and $300.
You can expect to be billed on the sop when you hire an electrician and most will take credit cards or a personal check.
If you hire an electrician make sure that he is fully licensed by the state and has experience in performing the type of job you need done. You can check certifications on the Internet and look for reviews of him and his company. Previous customers are eager to tell others about the service they receive from professionals who charge premium prices. So find out what people are saying on line before you hire someone.